Wednesday 3 December 2014

Inspiration: The Earl of Rone hobby horse



   Fig 1 (Top): Detail of Hobby Horse by Hazel Terry, Fig 2 (Bottom): Hobby Horse by Hazel Terry

I find this hobby horse costume so inspiring. It is part of the celebrations of 'the Hunting of the Earl of Rone' in Devon. I made my red riding hood and wolf share this costume. The lovely circular decorations on the sides I adapted into trees with a path through to grandma's house and I engineered the wolf's tail to protrude out of the side where smoke would be coming out of the chimney.
It is a busy image in water colour and collage on A1 paper, but it was fun. It also looks a little like a cake with sprinkles which appeals to my daughter and a whirling dervish which appeals to me.

       Fig 3 (above): The Earl of Rone Hobby Horse

References

Fig1,2: Hobby Horse by Hazel Terry
Fig 3: The Earl of Rone Hobby Horse http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/VIDEO-Dozens-turn-Combe-Martin-s-Hunting-Earl/story-19112878-detail/story.html

http://www.earl-of-rone.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment